Sunday, December 18, 2005


I'm so tired i can't sleep. Only three hours this morning before heading to Seoul today. So much has happened in the last week! I can't remember much of Thursday night due to too much soju. We met a new Korean friend today. But first i'll try to pick up where i left off last time. Hopefully i'll be able to finish writing about this week before we leave for Japan on Saturday.

Now where was i? Oh, yeah the game. We tried sitting by ourselves again, but the same guy called us over to sit with the hardcore fans. C hadn't taken off her jacket at first and he seemed kind of worried that she might not be wearing her jersey. Once again we sat front and center. The guy in this picture leads these fans in various chants throughout the game. I love the white gloves, very 80's Michael Jackson. I guess Sunday was "hammer" day, because most people had them. (See pic in previous post.) I spent the first half of the game leaning into C to avoid being beaten over the head repeatedly by the "special" guy sitting next to me. He was a little too enthusiastic with his hammers. At halftime the cheerleaders shot some miniature basketballs into the stands for the fans. You must win a new car when you catch one, because people dive all over each other to get them. I was stepped on more than once. The fans follow the cheerleaders in a herd to try to get a ball. After the initial volley they repositioned, so the mass that was around me dispersed. I sat back down and just as i did C called out that one was head straight for me from the other side. I swear the cheerleaders here want to meet me(sarcasm), because we got our hands on another ball. Unfortunately i looked up too late and couldn't react enough to catch it. As it hit my hands i had woman from my right dive over me. Then a guy on my left about a second too late. If the herd was around me i probably would have been killed. Just after halftime everyone in our section (except C) was standing and cheering when an older gentleman with a baby approached me. He smiled and pointed at one of my hammers like he wanted it. Puzzled, i handed one to him and he gave it to the baby and left. He walked past dozens of other people with them, but he wanted mine for some reason. So there i was confused and left with one useless hammer. The thing only cost about 1000 won (about a buck Canadian) and he was dressed in a nice suit. Did he think i was famous because i'm a foreigner? Small town Korea can be a trip.

Final score: Dongbu 64 SK 73
Photos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home